Cooking causes almost 90% of all kitchen fires. The main culprits are grease, oil and fat that has been left unattended on the stove. Many people exacerbate the problem by tossing water on the fire, which has the opposite effect and increases the severity of the situation. Below are some tips on how to avoid kitchen fires and extinguish small onces before they get out of hand.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen at all times. Water cannot put out a grease fire, but an extinguisher will work.
- If a small grease fire starts and you do not have a fire extinguisher cover the fire by placing a lid on the pan.
- Never leave the stove unattended while cooking.
- Do not wear loose clothing while cooking, as the cloth is more likely to ignite and cause physical harm.
- Always keep fresh batteries in your smoke detector.